Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Read a Psalm: Psalm 71


Psalm 71 (NET)

71:1 In you, O Lord, I have taken shelter!
     Never let me be humiliated!
71:2 Vindicate me by rescuing me!
     Listen to me! Deliver me!
71:3 Be my protector and refuge,
     a stronghold where I can be safe!
     For you are my high ridge and my stronghold.
71:4 My God, rescue me from the power of the wicked,
     from the hand of the cruel oppressor!
71:5 For you give me confidence, O Lord;
     O Lord, I have trusted in you since I was young.
71:6 I have leaned on you since birth;
     you pulled me from my mother’s womb.
     I praise you continually.

71:7 Many are appalled when they see me,
     but you are my secure shelter.
71:8 I praise you constantly
     and speak of your splendor all day long.
71:9 Do not reject me in my old age!
     When my strength fails, do not abandon me!
71:10 For my enemies talk about me;
     those waiting for a chance to kill me plot my demise.
71:11 They say, “God has abandoned him.
     Run and seize him, for there is no one who will rescue him!”

71:12 O God, do not remain far away from me!
     My God, hurry and help me!
71:13 May my accusers be humiliated and defeated!
     May those who want to harm me be covered with scorn and disgrace!
71:14 As for me, I will wait continually,
     and will continue to praise you.
71:15 I will tell about your justice,
     and all day long proclaim your salvation,
     though I cannot fathom its full extent.
71:16 I will come and tell about the mighty acts of the sovereign Lord.
     I will proclaim your justice – yours alone.

71:17 O God, you have taught me since I was young,
     and I am still declaring your amazing deeds.
71:18 Even when I am old and gray,  
     O God, do not abandon me,
     until I tell the next generation about your strength,
     and those coming after me about your power.
71:19 Your justice, O God, extends to the skies above;
     you have done great things.
     O God, who can compare to you?
71:20 Though you have allowed me to experience much trouble and distress,
     revive me once again!
     Bring me up once again from the depths of the earth!
71:21 Raise me to a position of great honor!
     Turn and comfort me!

71:22 I will express my thanks to you with a stringed instrument,
     praising your faithfulness, O my God!
     I will sing praises to you accompanied by a harp,
     O Holy One of Israel!
71:23 My lips will shout for joy! Yes, I will sing your praises!
     I will praise you when you rescue me!
71:24 All day long my tongue will also tell about your justice,
     for those who want to harm me will be embarrassed and ashamed.

Outline/Stanza:
1-6 Prayer for deliverance based on who God was in the psalmist experience.
7-11 Vulnerability because of old age.
12-16 Plea for Humiliation and disgrace to enemies but for God, praises are offered
17-21 Hope in God for the life to come
22-24 Praising God through instruments and body parts for God answer to the plea

Main point:
God is both the God of the young and the old, he can be fully trusted in the strength of the youth and the weakness of the older days.

Response:
Lord, now that I am young, I praise you, I glorify you, I look and cling to you and you answer; In my older days, may I continue to fully trust in You.


No comments: