Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Read a Psalm: Psalm 77


Psalm 77
For the music director, Jeduthun; a psalm of Asaph.

77:1 I will cry out to God and call for help!
     I will cry out to God and he will pay attention to me.
77:2 In my time of trouble I sought the Lord.
     I kept my hand raised in prayer throughout the night.
     I refused to be comforted.
77:3 I said, “I will remember God while I groan;
     I will think about him while my strength leaves me.” (Selah)
77:4 You held my eyelids open;
     I was troubled and could not speak.
77:5 I thought about the days of old,
     about ancient times.
77:6 I said, “During the night I will remember the song I once sang;
     I will think very carefully.”
     I tried to make sense of what was happening.

77:7 I asked, “Will the Lord reject me forever?
     Will he never again show me his favor?
77:8 Has his loyal love disappeared forever?
     Has his promise failed forever?
77:9 Has God forgotten to be merciful?
     Has his anger stifled his compassion?”
77:10 Then I said, “I am sickened by the thought
     that the sovereign One might become inactive.

77:11 I will remember the works of the Lord.
     Yes, I will remember the amazing things you did long ago!
77:12 I will think about all you have done;
     I will reflect upon your deeds!”
77:13 O God, your deeds are extraordinary!
     What god can compare to our great God?
77:14 You are the God who does amazing things;
     you have revealed your strength among the nations.
77:15 You delivered your people by your strength –
     the children of Jacob and Joseph. (Selah)

77:16 The waters saw you, O God,
     the waters saw you and trembled.
     Yes, the depths of the sea shook with fear.
77:17 The clouds poured down rain;
     the skies thundered.
     Yes, your arrows flashed about.
77:18 Your thunderous voice was heard in the wind;
     the lightning bolts lit up the world;
     the earth trembled and shook.
77:19 You walked through the sea;
     you passed through the surging waters,
     but left no footprints.
77:20 You led your people like a flock of sheep,
     by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

Outline/Stanza
1-6 Remembering God in troubled times
7-10 Desperate plea for God to intervene
11-15 Remembering God's mighty acts in the past
16-20 Remembering God's mighty acts during the time of Moses and Aaron

Main Point:
Call upon Almighty God for He who was great and awesome in the past is still the same God today.

No comments: