Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Read a Psalm: Psalm 73


Psalm 73 (NET)
A psalm by Asaph

73:1 Certainly God is good to Israel,
     and to those whose motives are pure!
73:2 But as for me, my feet almost slipped;
     my feet almost slid out from under me.
73:3 For I envied those who are proud,
     as I observed the prosperity of the wicked.
73:4 For they suffer no pain;
     their bodies are strong and well-fed.
73:5 They are immune to the trouble common to men;
     they do not suffer as other men do.
73:6 Arrogance is their necklace,
     and violence their clothing.
73:7 Their prosperity causes them to do wrong;
     their thoughts are sinful.
73:8 They mock and say evil things;
     they proudly threaten violence.
73:9 They speak as if they rule in heaven,
     and lay claim to the earth.

73:10 Therefore they have more than enough food to eat,
     and even suck up the water of the sea.
73:11 They say, “How does God know what we do?
     Is the sovereign one aware of what goes on?”
73:12 Take a good look! This is what the wicked are like,
     those who always have it so easy and get richer and richer.
73:13 I concluded, “Surely in vain I have kept my motives pure
     and maintained a pure lifestyle.
73:14 I suffer all day long,
     and am punished every morning.”

73:15 If I had publicized these thoughts,
     I would have betrayed your loyal followers.
73:16 When I tried to make sense of this,
     it was troubling to me.
73:17 Then I entered the precincts of God’s temple,
     and understood the destiny of the wicked.
73:18 Surely you put them in slippery places;
     you bring them down to ruin.
73:19 How desolate they become in a mere moment!
     Terrifying judgments make their demise complete!
73:20 They are like a dream after one wakes up.
     O Lord, when you awake you will despise them.

73:21 Yes, my spirit was bitter,
     and my insides felt sharp pain.
73:22 I was ignorant and lacked insight;
     I was as senseless as an animal before you.
73:23 But I am continually with you;
     you hold my right hand.
73:24 You guide me by your wise advice,
     and then you will lead me to a position of honor.

73:25 Whom do I have in heaven but you?
     I desire no one but you on earth.
73:26 My flesh and my heart may grow weak,
     but God always protects my heart and gives me stability.
73:27 Yes, look! Those far from you die;
     you destroy everyone who is unfaithful to you.
73:28 But as for me, God’s presence is all I need.
     I have made the sovereign Lord my shelter, 
     as I declare all the things you have done.

Outline/Stanza
1-9 Discouragement for the wicked seems blessed
10-14 Discouragement for living a godly life
15-20 Enlightenment after meeting with God
21-24 Faithfulness to God even if life is unfair
25-28 God is enough

Main Point: God is the blessing; he is our portion.

Prayer of response: Lord, let my heart be satisfied in You.

No comments: